Sponsor Green Card for Children

Children of any age are eligible for a green card or U.S. permanent residency. Children who are dependent on a U.S. permanent resident, U.S. citizen, or someone who is applying for U.S. permanent residency or citizenship are eligible to become green card holders.

Children of U.S. Citizens

If you became a U.S. citizen recently and your children did not become

If you were born to a US citizen, then you may have a claim to citizenship or permanent residency. If you were born in the United States, you automatically are given the status of citizenship. If you were born abroad to a US citizen parent, then your birth will need to be registered (before you turn 18 years old) with the local US embassy and you may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship and a US passport. If you were born to a US citizen parent abroad but your birth was not registered before your 18th birthday, then you may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship using Form N-600.

Child of Permanent Resident

Unmarried children, of any age, of US permanent residents are eligible for a green card. The first step to obtaining a green card is to have the LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) petition for the child using USCIS Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. The purpose of the petition is to prove the relationship between the LPR and his/her child. Once the petition has been approved, the child must wait for a visa number to become available before filing the application for a green card, Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. There are a limited number of visas each year for children of LPR’s.

What is a green card?

A green card is an identification document that signifies the immigrant status of US permanent resident.

What do you need to get a green card?

To be eligible for a green card, you must meet the eligibility requirements of an applicable immigrant category. The three most popular immigrant categories are employment, family, and military.

Green Card for parents?

Green cards are available for parents of US citizens and permanent residents. There are an unlimited amount of green cards available for parents of US citizens who are at least 21 years old and a limited number of green cards for parents of US citizens otherwise and parents of US permanent residents. To obtain a green card for a parent, the I-130 petition must first be filed and then the I-485 application.